AGEIR Diesel Locomotive Roster



{Transferred to sbiii.com 20 Jul 2006;
posting revised  07 Sep 2011;  06:50 ET}

[This is roster.html (http://sbiii.com/jfcageir/roster.html)
{formerly http://www.execpc.com/~jcampbel/roster.html}]

{This is a first attempt at re-creating John F. Campbell's extensive boxcab site;
please bear with us as we work out the bugs.
Click HERE for a fuller index (by SB,III).}

at_work.gif

John F. Campbell's
AGEIR Diesel Locomotive Roster
PAGE ONE

[05 Mar 2005 source data (may not be latest) - transcribed 15 Jun 2006 by SB,III]

AGEIR-built Oil-electric Diesel-electric locomotives began with ALCO issuing a "Stock Order" from their Schenectady New York Works for one or more 60 ton or 100 ton units and provided the fabricated steel mechanical assemblies to General Electric at the Erie Pennsylvania Works.jc-ageir Ingersoll-Rand produced the modified PR Rathbun 300 horsepower Diesel power plants and then shipped them to the Erie Works also.jc-ageir General Electric completed each locomotive and with some exceptions delivered them on their own power to the Ingersoll-Rand facilities at Phillipsburg New Jersey.jc-ageir Ingersoll-Rand was responsible for marketing and sales and would test and often demonstrate the completed locomotives prior to delivering them to the customer.jc-ageir AGEIR Diesel-electric locomotives were assigned both ALCO and GE Builders Numbers and the following Roster will (for the most part) follow the chronology of ALCO "Stock Orders" processed...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALCO Order # S1484 for three 60 ton 300 horsepower units
GE Class B-B-120/120-0-4HM840G

AGEIR Demonstrator #9681
ALCO Builders #65979 - GE Builders #9681 - Delivered to Ingersoll-Rand for in-house demonstrations during July 1925...
Note: Sold to Central of New Jersey RR as their #1000 and entered service on October 22, 1925...
Became CNJ Class SD-3, and was repainted with the "Jersey Central Lines" logo applied.jc-ageir Donated through Ingersoll-Rand to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum located in Baltimore Maryland circa June 1957...

Baltimore & Ohio RR #1
ALCO Builders #65980 - GE Builders #9682 - Entered service on December 26, 1925 as B&O Class DE Road #1...
Note: Became B&O Class DE-1 circa 1940...  Renumbered #195 circa 1942...  Became B&O Class DS-1a circa 1943... Reclassified DE-1A later in 1943...  Renumbered #8000 circa 1957 and reclassified B&O SA-1...  Retired during 1959... Possibly rebuilt in the mid-1940s.  Reportedly sold to Max Soloman of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the late 1950s.  Donated through Ingersoll-Rand to the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis Missouri during 1960...

Lehigh Valley RR #100
ALCO Builders #65981 - GE Builders #9683 - Entered service on January 7, 1926...
Note: Became Lehigh Valley Class BB-1.  Retired and scrapped at Sayre Pennsylvania during December 1947...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALCO Order # S1494 for one 100 ton 600 horsepower unit
GE Class B-B-200-0-4GE69C-600 Volt

Long Island Rail Road #401
ALCO Builders #66085 - GE Builders #9740 - Entered service during February 1926...
Note: First dual engine Diesel powered locomotive in North America. Returned to Erie Works September 1927 for "rebuilding" and returned back to service on the Long Island Rail Road during December 1927...
Became LIRR Class AA-2. Retired June 7, 1951 and sold to Luria Brothers where it was scrapped by the end of that month...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALCO Order # S-1532 for six 60 ton 300 horsepower units
GE Class B-B-120/120-0-4HM840G

Chicago & North Western Ry #1000
ALCO Builders #66679 - GE Builders #10023 - Entered service on May 2, 1926...
Note: First unit built with end doors and last unit to use the "Squat-Pot" style exhaust stacks...
Retired and scrapped during March 1956...

Erie RR #20
ALCO Builders #66681 - GE Builders #10024 - Delivered May 25, 1926...
NOTE: Originally Erie RR #20 was Class M-1, then Class Sa-3. First unit to utilize a motor vehicle style roof exhaust system...
NOTE: The linked image of Erie RR #20 is from an AGEIR Builders Paster {? - sic} produced from the original Builders view... Courtesy of retired Alco Field Engineering Manager Bill Battle...

Reading RR Company #50
ALCO Builders #66682 - GE Builders #10025 - Delivered June 1, 1926...
Note: Returned shortly to Ingersoll-Rand where a fan assembly was incorporated into the radiator cooling system. Reading Class OE1 B-B. Later renumbered #98 and scrapped prior to 1969 company roster of Diesel locomotives...

Delaware Lackawanna & Western RR #3001
ALCO Builders #66683 - GE Builders #10026 - Delivered June 23, 1926...
Note: Sold back to Ingersoll-Rand during July 1951 where it was renumbered Ingersol-Rand #91 for interplant switching service at Phillipsburg New Jersey. Donated to the Illinois Railway Museum of Union Illinois for preservation by Ingersoll-Rand and shipped to that location on August 1, 1984...

Delaware Lackawanna & Western RR #3002
Harlem Transfer Company #2
ALCO Builders #66684 - GE Builders #10027 - Delivered July 1, 1926...
Note: Ordered as DL&W #3002, but delivered to the Bronx New York City Car Float facilities lettered Harlem Transfer Co. #2. Retired February 1962 and scrapped November 1962...
3/4 Front View, "B" Side of Harlem Transfer Co. #2...
{missing image}

Utah Copper Company #600
ALCO Builders #66680 - GE Builders #10028 - Delivered to Bingham Utah July 23, 1926...
Note: Sold to Lehigh Valley RR January 21, 1932 and renumbered Lehigh Valley #99. Retired September 1947 and scrapped at Sayre Pennsylvania during June 1950...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALCO Order # S-1531 for Five 100 Ton 600 Horsepower Units
Using Two Ingersoll-Rand 300 Horsepower Diesel Engines...

Red River Lumber Company #502
ALCO Builders #66677 - GE Builders #10029 - Delivered August 17, 1926...
Note: Construction weight 106 to 108 tons. Sold to ARMCO during 1940 and renumbered ARMCO #E103 for their Middletown Ohio facilities...
Red River #502 near Chester, California

Great Northern Ry #5100
ALCO Builders #66949 - GE Builders #10078 - Delivered September 24, 1926...
Note: Construction weight 108 tons. Class B6-2... Sold to Iron & Steel Products Company 12/1941... Then to ARMCO during May 1942 and renumbered ARMCO #E104 for their Middletown Ohio facilities...

AGEIR Demonstrator #40
ALCO Builders #66950 - GE Builders #10176 - Released for demonstration service during January 1927...
Note: Construction weight 108 tons. Sold to American Rolling Mill Company (ARMCO) as #E101 for their Middletown Ohio facilities and was delivered to ARMCO March 31, 1928...

Erie RR #21
ALCO Builders #66951 - GE Builders #10175 - Delivered September 19, 1927...
Note: Had an Interurban style pilot ("cow catcher") installed during construction. Erie Class M-2. First 600 horsepower unit constructed with a motor driven fan radiator system. Rebuilt October 1951 by Erie/Hornell as Yard Slug #B21 and acquired Blunt type trucks. Retired August 1966 and scrapped at Meadville Pennsylvania September 1967...

Erie RR #22
ALCO Builders #66678 - GE Builders #10177 - Delivered October 18, 1927...
Note: Had an Interurban style pilot ("cow catcher") installed during construction. Erie Class M-2. Erie RR #21 entered a short stint operating local passenger service on October 13, 1927 and was joined for this brief period by Erie #22 upon delivery... prior to both units entering switching service. Erie #22 was rebuilt January 1952 by Erie/Hornell as Erie Yard Slug #B22 (might have acquired Blunt trucks). Retired October 1966 and scrapped at Meadville Pennsylvania February 1967... Erie RR #22 at Akron, Ohio...

All five of the above 600 horsepower locomotives had their underframes extended slightly with one set of strap steps and a grab iron on each end. There was just enough room for an operator to enter the end doors via this method and could be concidered a precursor to the end platforms which later became standard on most Diesel-electric units...

Most if not all of these units were initially constructed with a Pinion to Gear ratio for "Road Service" -
producing an Ingersoll-Rand advertised top speed of 55 miles per hour...


ALCO Order # S1543 for six 300 horsepower units all built to a completed weight of 66 tons
GE Class B-B-132/132-0-4GE292H - & - GE Class B-B-120/120-0-4HM840G

Chicago & North Western Ry #1001 {missing image} ALCO Builders #66753 - GE Builders #10133 - Delivered October 19, 1926...
Note: First 300 horsepower unit constructed with newly designed radiator system which was fan cooled...
Retired during February 1956 and scrapped...

Union Carbide Company #11
ALCO Builders #66754 - GE Builders #10134 - Completed during November 1926 and demonstrated at Inland Steel in Chicago Illinois until April 1927. Rebuilt as Union Carbide #11 {missing image} during July 1927 and delivered to the Niagara Falls New York Union Carbide facilities on August 9, 1927...
Note: Rebuilt June 1960 with a 385 horsepower Caterpiller power plant and renumbered #3. Transferred to the Sheffield Alabama facilities during July 1960. Acquired by the North Alabama Railroad Museum July 28, 1977 and is currently undergoing a well thought out restoration program...

Ingersoll-Rand #90
ALCO Builders #66752 - GE Builders #10132 - Delivered during December 1926...
Note: The Builders Plates on this unit indicate GE Class B-B-120/120-0-4HM840G. This was the first locomotive to be constructed with Roller Bearing trucks and the first 300 horsepower unit to be started electricly. Used as the Phillipsburg New Jersey plant switch engine until donated to the Henry Ford Museum of Dearborn Michigan during September 1970 where it was "reconditioned" and put on display June 13, 1984... I-R #90 Builders View...

Chicago & North Western Ry #1002 {missing image}
ALCO Builders #66755 - GE Builders #10135 - Delivered April 18, 1927...
Retired during May 1957 and scrapped...

Erie RR #19
ALCO Builders #66757 - GE Builders #10137 - Delivered September 22, 1928...
Note: Originally Erie Class M-1, then Class Sa-3, this unit joined Erie #20 in float and yard switching service in Manhattan New York...

Buffalo General Electric Company #3
ALCO Builders #66756 - GE Builders #10136 - Delivered to this Buffalo New York Electric Power Company to service the C.R.Huntley steam plant during January 1930...
Note: The late sale and/or delivery of Buffalo General Electric Co. #3 {missing image} is not well understood.  One report dated March 15, 1929 has this unit listed as still being "Under Construction"...  In a merger during April 1937 Buffalo General Electric became part of Buffalo-Niagara Electric Company and under that name unit #3 was later sold to a locomotive dealer.  About 1956, a private contractor acquired #3 for building the New York State Thruway and later to enlarge the New York Central Frontier Yard in Buffalo New York.  Further disposition is currently unknown...


    AGEIR Roster Continued on PAGE TWO = 

 

Web Site Notes:  John F. Campbell passed away far too soon on 23 Feb 2005; for more information, click here.  This site is now hosted in John's honor by his e-friend and fellow boxcab aficionado S. Berliner, III; more boxcab information and photographs can be found at SB,III's site, http://sbiii.com/boxcabs.html, et seq.  John's pages are not being changed or otherwise updated as to content, unless specifically so noted in {braces}.

To contact S. Berliner, III, please click here.



© 2001 by John F. Campbell; © Copyright S. Berliner, III - 2006, 2011  - All rights reserved.

Return to Top of Page